The information contained on this page is for general information purposes only. I'm not a professional
trainer. Always seek professional advice before engaging in any physical activity. Consult with your doctor
before starting any exercise program.
PBs: M 2:56, HM 1:20, 10k 36:55
Diagram above captures the structure of my running year along with pre-race tampering for 10k and marathon.
- 2000+ km/year
- 50+ km/week
- Workout unit 5 - 35km
- Workout unit = warmup + phase + cooldown
- Workout unit = 50'+ = 15'+ + 20'+ + 15'+
- Warmup = 10' jog + stretching + running ABC + speeding
- Stretching: static head to feets
- Phase types: speed v strength v endurance v tempo v just enjoy it
- Speed: interval training 400-800m / 1:30'' cooldown
- Strenght: hills (~5% 5x1k v 10x500m)
- Endurance: 20+km
- Tempo: 5km v 10km @ race pace
- Cooldown: 10' jog + stretching
Running plan described above is ideal variant of the running plan that took me to sub 3 hour marathon.
I'm not training plan believer and I don't trust to universally created plans. Take my plan just as an inspiration.
It covers all important skills you have to have - start small, add incrementally, adjust to your fitness and
mindstate, listen to your body, learn from mistakes and improvise.
- Sleep well.
- Eat well.
- Enjoy it!
"Key to success? Consistent hard work, day after day, week after week, year after year.
No magic bullet. No shortcuts." Josh Cox